Sunday, August 8, 2010

Earthly Sweetness

Today, I unearthed the last of the summer garden. I smell like oregano, basil, rosemary and tomatoes, all I need is a little cheese and I'd be scrumptious pizza! All the herbs but the ever-growing rosemary have been pulled, and when I removed the thick of the tomato vines I discovered four volunteer corn plants. It won't be long before the squirrels discover them, too! Aside from Bebe, a garden snake, two extraordinarily large lizards, several bees and a few doves kept me company as I uprooted long red earth worms while I tugged, grunted and finally released the last of the summer vegetables. A quarter of the garden is lush with green sweet potato vines which occasionally bloom with morning glory like purple flowers. Today, I mustered up enough courage to dig beneath the roots to see if there were any fruits of my labor. Low and behold, two sweet potatoes! I know there are plenty more, but from the looks of the ones I pulled, I think I'll wait a few more weeks to unearth the remaining 80 or so lurking below the surface.

No comments: