Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Ode to Thanksgiving (written when I was 14 years old)

Preparing for Thanksgiving, I remembered a poem I wrote when I was in grade school. Luckily, I had a copy of the original; it was in an old blank book I'd filled with childhood ditties which I had given my parents as a gift. I remember reciting this at the dinner table one Thanksgiving.

"A Thanksgiving Prayer"

And now I sit me down to eat.
To consume what's in front of me,
I call a big feat.

I pray from my soul that I will not gain weight,
and promise myself
not to refill my plate.

I tried not to think how that bird must have felt,
to be baked at a temperature
even God couldn't help,

The turkey all shiny and dripping and stuffed.
It's all so delicious, on to seconds,
the first is not enough!

The cranberry sauce, the potatoes, so good!
The pumpkin pie! 
Oh, I ate all I could!

Remember that turkey, how luscious and fat?
Well, the next time you see me,
I'll look just like that!

As for today, I made pumpkin pie with a little less sugar than what Betty Crocker called for in the old red-plaid cookbook, and the apples in the apple pie are organic. The veggies and herbs will come mostly from the garden this year, and the turkey is all natural. It will be stuffed with Jayne's sage dressing recipe, and garnished with rosemary, both herbs snipped fresh from the garden as well.  It will still be luscious and fat. Hopefully, the next time you see me though, I won't look just like that! 

Grateful
picking green beans -
broccoli dew drops glisten
I snip herbs to rosemary's scent -
Thank you

No comments: